Born in Texas

 

In a previous post I mentioned that my father was in the beginnings of business computing for GMAC.  He had been working there for seven years when the office burned down.  GM made the decision to relocate the programming department to Ohio from Dallas.  Each member of the office team was given the option of company paid relocation to Ohio, or to transfer locally to other departments.  My parents opted to relocate.  I do not remember anything from that time.  My previous post concerning my elementary education challenges happened after this move.  

We lived in Ohio for approximately 5 years.  In 1977 my father's father died.  In 1979, my parents decided to relocate back home to East Texas, to be closer to aging and ailing parents.  My dad was the only surviving son of 5 brothers.  My mother's father was diagnosed in the 70's with Parkinsons disease. And while her mother was quite capable, my mother felt a bit of comfort at being available if needed.  I have few memories of my grandparents.  Perhaps it is that way for most people, or perhaps a result of the strokes I have survived.  Nevertheless, the memories I do have of them are warm and comforting.

Home cooking, modest comfortable homes, quiet conversation, family gatherings, and warm hugs are what stand out the most.  My mother's mothers cooking brings the sharpest memories. She would make warm chocolate pudding and pour it into crystal desert cups like at the fancy restaurants.  I do not know how to describe it, other than to say it wasn't smooth like the instant pudding.  The texture was grainier, like raw sugar.  The only part I didn't like was the film it formed as it cooled.  But as I remember it, it was never a problem.  My brother loved that part.  The other thing she made that I really miss was her egg custard pie.  I never cared for the Marange, but the texture was the same as the pudding.  Homemade.  I came across this cookbook a few years ago, and it has recipe's just like hers.

Home Cooking Cookbook

Our transition was a bit disappointing to my brother and me.  I think I was the reasoning behind the decision to hold the two of us back one year.  No one was told at the school.  But due to my learning disability and the desire to keep my brother and I in the same class, we were put in the Fourth grade instead of the fifth. We adjusted well, but I still struggled.  Mom took a job as the music teacher for the elementary school.  So, we were close to her during the adjustment, and she drove us to school.

We started our new lives in my father's hometown of Beckville Texas.  And before elaborating to much I would like to add that my three youngest are the fourth generation of our family to go to Beckville schools.  We rented a small house in Beckville while mom and dad had a new home built six miles out of town on the old homeplace.  Our sister is three years our senior and we rarely interacted with her in school.  She graduated high school before we entered it.  Beckville is a small school and it afforded us the opportunity to participate in every activity we wanted.  Band, one act play, Academic endeavors, and sports.  Although we were forbidden from football.  Looking back, I agree with my parent's decision and made the same for my boys.  To many young men are graduating from high school with permanent injuries due to football.  It is an unnecessary risk, in my opinion.  There was a time when high school sports were more about team and character building.  Today it seems performance is the only goal.  Again, just my opinion.

Beckville ISD Website

I was most in my own element in Band.  Yes, I was a band nerd.  I could barely read music, but with patience our band director, who was also our scout master, figured out I was mainly playing by ear.  It wasn't long before I was filling in on multiple instruments where a gap or hole in the sound was missing.  Many autistic children have hidden talent with music.  As I mentioned before, I had no idea that I had a diagnosis, as at the time few doctors were studying adolescent behaviors like mine.  That type of study was in its infancy.  But music was, and is, a big part of my life.  I do not play anymore.  Raising my own children, at times working two and three jobs to make ends meet, left little time for making music.  Most times I was too exhausted to do anything but go to bed.  If you are interested in knowing more about autistics and music, check out this book.

Music & Autism

Music toys for Autism

So, the summary of this post is that while I was born and mainly raised in Texas, there were a few formative years spent in Ohio.  There is a saying here.  Everyone is born Texan, it just takes a few of us longer to get here.  Texas is a great state with much to offer anyone with the spirit to make this home.  It is a great place to raise a family and put down roots.  More on Texas in another post. For now, here are a selection of books if you are interested.

Texas my Texas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Loves

Dating in School

School in the 70's with Learning Disabilities